Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sick, Tired, and Maimed

We did not have a fun week (two weeks ago now). Ben had a fever all week. It was a very responsive fever and he was eating/drinking and running around, so I just kept an eye on it. By day four, he stopped eating and drinking and so I made an appointment to see the doctor. The doctor took one look in his mouth and pronounced Strepp throat. I asked why he thought that and he said, "because there is pus on his tonsils." Eewwww! The doctor took a culture and put Ben on antibiotics. On a side note, the culture came back negative, but Ben responded instantaneously to the antibiotics, so whatever it was is gone and we are going on a yogurt fest to return all those lovely healthy bacteria to his system. Yummy!

While on the phone with the dr's office, I watched Ginny run and trip over her feet and hit her face on a heat register that is in our dining room. This is the only floor register in the entire house and the ONLY reason we haven't pulled it up yet was the fear of dealing with an open vent of some sort. We figured we would fix it when we redid the floors at some point.

She hit her face pretty hard and bit her lip in several places. The biggest concern was the fact that one of her front teeth was twisted at least 45 degrees from center and bleeding profusely. The bleeding stopped pretty fast, but I was worried about that tooth. Also, it was of course a Thursday and our dentist was just back from a vacation and not open until the following Tuesday. Luckily for us, they are wonderful wonderful people and Jenny and Krissy got Ginny over for an x-ray. That was fun ... not. My normally outgoing little girly only needs to have direct attention to duck her head and stop smiling. I ended up having to sit with her on my lap and Jenny had to hold the x-ray film still for a decent picture. They showed me the picture and mentioned that there is a likelihood that the tooth might die ... which is to say turn all black and yucky, but there didn't appear to be any abscess or emergency. I was soooo mad at my floor, the first thing I did when I got home was to rip up that stupid register, and would you believe it - there was NO vent under it at all!!!!!!! Not that Ginny couldn't have hit her face on just about anything. But to hit her face on a stupid piece of metal that serves no useful purpose and was probably just screwed back into the floor to cover a tiny hole in the carpet was maddening beyond belief. In the meantime, the swelling has gone down and her tooth looks to have returned to its normal place. And the dentist will look at it next week - just for Mommy's sanity. On the plus side, there are no more binkies in the house and since it was so painful for her to suck on anything for the first day or so, the transition wasn't so terrible either.

No comments:

Post a Comment