Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Medical Circus????

I had to take Joshua into the doctor's office for his Kindergarten physical (and to get a shot he was missing). I really missed Robert!!! In the past year or so, I have scheduled appointments to happen at lunch or naptime so that Daddy was home or Robert could "babysit" the sleeping ones. This time, however, the only available appointment was at 10:30am and I took all three of the little ones with me. I have taken all three before, but usually at least one of them was actually sick and so I really only had to watch 2. Also, the nurses are really good at getting us out of the waiting room as fast as possible so that I don't have as much surface area to watch. This time, however, I had three health and very exuberant children who were very happy to be there. They were very good, but we were in the waiting room for nearly an hour and a half. By the end of that time, they were in a pretend world (started by Joshua) where they were deep-sea divers. Every time a nurse opened the door, Joshua would shriek for her to watch out for the sharks. Yes it was very cute, but I had to dissuade them from using various objects in the room (a folded wheelchair, television, a fellow patient with a cast) as object to be driven or walked upon. Ben also has discovered numbers and colors and he was pointing out every number he could see. He could recognize 1 through 11 on the clock. The 12 was 1 and 2, though.When we got to the procedure room, it was noon and the kids were getting hungry and I was glad that the nurse came right in to get started. As it turned out, Josh needed 3 shots and a TB test (I don't remember having to get Robert a TB test before Kindergarten, but that was a long time ago). I should mention that Joshua was nervous about having to see the doctor. I told him that he needed to get a shot and he looked at me with big eyes and asked, "the doctor has a gun?" When I told him no, he wanted to know how the doctor was supposed to shoot him without a gun. He still wasn't entirely clear on the concept when the nurse came in with the tray. The last time he had shots, he screamed before, during, and for a long time after ... so I was ready. However, he just looked down and watched. He didn't even flinch! He got the TB on his forearm, and a shot in each bicep. Then, as we were leaving, (and almost back to the waiting room) the nurse discovered that Josh also needed a finger stick. The kids were less than amused at being herded back to the little room, but again Josh took the stick without a jump. When she was done, he just looked at me and said "Mom, I don't have to do this again, right?" Unfortunately, the office was out of one of the boosters and we will have to go in when the vaccine comes in, but I think Josh will do well! As good as the kids were, I was flat exhausted by the time we got home. The kids and I slept until Robert got home from school. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment