I have taken way too long to update the blog. I have taken some great pictures memories that I want to capture and I will be updating some of those "after the fact." I thought I would start with today's events. Finally, after nearly a year, the adoption process is complete. As of today, Robert's legal name is:
Robert Roy Thompson
Robert has been very excited for this to happen. He was also very nervous at having to go into a courtroom and talk to a judge. Our morning started with its usual hectic-ness. I laid out Byron's Sunday clothes (with some vehement opposition from Byron who did NOT want to wear a button-down shirt and tie for the occasion) and got dressed up myself for the morning - which I spent helping in Josh's kindergarten class. My feet may never forgive me for choosing fashion over comfort ... there is a reason that teachers do not wear heels. As it turns out, Robert decided our over-all appearance because he decided to wear his only belt to his scouting campout this weekend and it did not make it home (some fish is really stylish, however). I gave in with reasonably good grace and changed into slacks to match the guys.
Ginny was feeling left out of the process apparently, because she decided to get sick late Thursday night and I couldn't take her to play with our friends the Hyer family (we like to share, but not THAT much), so I hunted around desperately to find someone who did not have very young children and could come to my home at noon. Thank you to Kat for stepping up for us!
We managed to make it out the door only 20 minutes behind schedule and, because Byron was driving, we made it to the courthouse exactly 2 minutes AFTER the hearing was scheduled to start. I was practically hyperventilating, but as fate would have it, the morning recess apparently cut into the judge's lunch and they did not even reconvene until 15 minutes after our hearing was supposed to start - so we made it with time to spare! We were called second (once they started the adoption hearings). We had the courtroom to ourselves and the whole thing took about 6 minutes. The judge swore all of us in and then only had questions for Byron and Robert. Finally, he ordered us to take Robert out to eat wherever he wanted to go ... and then clarified the order to Robert by telling him that he could not choose a restaurant in some exotic local like Paris, France. The baliff finalized the deal by handing Robert and official Superior Court ballpoint pen - which was the real highlight for Robert.
My favorite part was watching Byron answer when the judge pointed out that this adoption would give Robert inheritance rights. I could see the thoughts going right across his face "can kids inherit debts?" He did good, however, because he just smiled and said yes ... not even a giggle!
After we got out of the courthouse, we headed to Walmart to get the oil changed in the car (and pick up a new belt for Robert) and Robert decided on the RoadHouse Grill (because it was right there). We had a nice lunch ... just to keep in fully compliance with the court. I also sent out text messages to as many family members as I had cell numbers for and Robert really loved seeing the varied and instantaneous responses. We have such an awesome family!
Congrats on such a monumental milestone!!
ReplyDeleteWoohoo for the all the Thompsons. Congratulations!!
ReplyDelete