Sunday, March 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Ginny!

Today is Genevieve's 2nd birthday. We have a little tradition in our home where you get a corsage (or a boutinaire for the guys) when your birthday falls on a Sunday. I have never had to get a flower for someone so young. I had to ask the florist for a recommendation for the most "edible" flower since I could see either Ginny or worse, someone else's baby, deciding to eat it. Ginny wasn't too thrilled with the elastic and she kept taking it off (which meant that I wore it for most of sacrament meeting), but she kept coming back to make sure that it was there for her. We had ward conference today and, true to form, Ginny fell asleep about 4 minutes before the meeting ended. I stayed in the chapel letting her sleep while people filed out and the stake president stopped by to ask if she went to the Priest/Laurel Prom they held last night. Thanks Dany for helping to get this cell phone picture!

Photobucket

This evening we had dinner with the Minor family who brought a lovely basket full of lots of little treasures. Ginny had lots of fun sharing them with everyone. She must have spent 10 whole minutes putting little hair bands on Bryan's fingers as rings. Ben, on the other hand, was introduced to bobby pins as Christine put a nice green one in his hair. I think he was more fascinated by being able to get them off the little paper. Ginny even had fun sharing the basket contents with Ben - which is definitely noteworthy.

When the time came to open her other presents, Ginny picked right up on things. She would take a package, turn it over in her hands and immediately hand it over to the boys to open. Josh and Ben were more than happy to open the gifts. Josh was even willing to give them back to her ... eventually. Ben, on the other hand, definitely had difficulty with the concept. Of course Ginny would watch the unwrapping with great interest and immediately shriek to have the newly uncovered present delivered to her immediately.

Aside from the basket-o-treasures, Ginny was given her 2nd birthday figurine and a sparkly princess book from Papa & Mimi. She lost interest in the figurine when she found I wasn't going to let her play with it, but she loves the book. The boys got her a little book and a set of magnetic paper dolls. The book was a book of baby animals with little sections of fur for each page. Ginny sat and turn the pages over and over. For each page she would say, "Awwww Que!" Byron and I got her a Sleeping Beauty doll - really an oversized Barbie with really big feet. Josh had a great time helping Ginny put the shoes on. I also discovered that I have a real issue with doll hair. This is about the third doll with hair that Ginny has received and she likes to carry them around by the hair. I have found that I cannot STAND to see snarly ratted doll hair and so I have been spending a considerable amount of time combing the doll hair. I cannot remember if I had this issue as a little girl myself or if it is just a symptom of an as of yet undiagnosed disease. Mama, what do you think?

All in all, a nice little evening to launch our little princess (or should I say diva-in-training) into the "terrible twos." I would be more alarmed if I had not seen her practicing for the past six months or so. Dare I hope she will leave them early as well? For those of you with little girls who are older than two ... shhhhhh, I like my little dream!

2 comments:

  1. my long comment didn't take- i had brilliant things to say- bummer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Ginny!
    love from Temecula cousins~

    ReplyDelete