Sunday, August 17, 2008

Canebrake Days ... and Great News

Well, we have had lots of fun these past couple of days. I had intended to record something each day, but that resolve lasted all of about 24 hours. Here is what we have been up to ...

Canebrake Service Day - We went out to clean out the horse corralls again (this is going to be a weekly thing for us). The kids have sooo much fun out there. I don't let them into the pens with me while the horses are in them, but as you can see, that hasn't stopped Ben. Yes, he climbed all the way up that fence on his own ... and he managed to get back down without falling off too! Josh was by far the most helpful. When Keith came out to feed the horses, Josh just tagged along asking every .5 seconds "Can I help u?" Keith was a great sport and let both the boys feed the horses. I just missed them each putting in a handful of hay for the baby horses. Josh actually managed to lift and push the little feed cart all over the place. When that boy wants to do something ... there is nothing too heavy. After the pens were clean and the horses were fed, we started weeding. This wasn't as much fun, but Robert dug right in with me and Josh continued to follow Keith around - Keith let him put the weeds he shoveled up into the pile. I love to see them so excited about helping and I want to encourage that. Suggestions anyone? We had a great time and the boys are looking forward to going again later this week.

School Is Back for Everybody - We are back to the educational grindstone. Of course, Robert will tell you that we never left it because I don't believe in educational holidays, but that is another story. Apart from our little school at home, Byron starts his second step toward his doctorate this month - a class on health and wellness which he thinks I could use. It should be fun! I am going to join in an extension class offered by George Withe University (out of Cedar City, UT). It is held in a mentor/group format and will be one Saturday a month through November out in Rancho Cucamonga. I am really really really excited about it - it is on Political Economy and our first reading to discuss is Understanding the Times: The Religious Worldviews of Our Day and the Search for Truth, by David Noebel. It is apparently 900 pages long and the first discussion meets on Sept. 20. Well, if I can finish Breaking Dawn three times over in a week, this should be a piece of cake ...

Landowners ...almost - Well, it's nearly official - we are buying a house! We got word on Saturday that everything has been approved and so we should be able to close escrow this week. This experience has taught me a couple of things (1) the escrow process is pointlessly ambiguous and (2) I need to work at a title office for a while to fix #1. I'll just put that on my todo list. Speaking of lists - I have put a poll up this week and I need EVERYBODY to vote. There is a fireplace (red brick) in the living room. I have been toying with the idea of (someday) painting it. What is your opinion? Is it bad to paint brick? Since we don't have the keys yet, I am not putting up any more house pictures as of yet (don't want any jinxes), but we are getting pretty excited as you can see ...

1 comment:

  1. Is it offical yet??? We need to get our TP(Toilet papering)party out to celebrate. I removed the ugly brick fireplace from my house and it cost a fortune. Wouldn't recommend it. Don't know much about painting. I wonder if you could have a concrete veneer done over it....they can make it look like marble, tile, whatever you like. http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo-gallery/fireplace-surrounds_13/ It is much less expensive than having it redone. I know someone locally that does this kind of work. Talk to you later about it.

    ReplyDelete