Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Very Very Very Long Day

Okay, so I decided that it was time to return to those bygone days (about 2 months ago) where I actually get out of bed at the hiddeous hour of 5:30 am and get the kids up and ready to go so that we can read scriptures as a family in the morning. I have been trying to do this for a couple of weeks now, but it just wasn't happening. Soooooo I made plans with a girlfriend to take the kids out to where I ride horses and do some service. I figured that since I had someone outside of the house counting on me to show up I might actually follow through - isn't that terrible? As bad as it sounds, it worked today! We were up and dressed by 6:15 and even got some scriptures read. Go Family!!!!

We headed out to the horses. It was funny - Josh wanted to know where we were going and Robert, not very thrilled muttered "We're going to pick up horse poop." After that, everytime I paused or stopped along the way Josh would yell out "Are we picking up horse poop Mommy?" (you have to imagine an adorable little toddler who enunciates every syllable ... horse pooopppp) Several people at the gas station loved that! It was a good experience. Robert stuck it out and managed to keep up with Dani and I as we cleaned two round pens in the hour we had before playgroup. The younger kids ran around with Dani's girls and just enjoyed themselves. Ben was a bit put out when I wouldn't let him in the pen with us and the horse (can we say speed bump?), but he got over it when Josh showed him that he could scale the fence.

After our work, we raced back to join our friends for a playgroup swimming party. It was a blast! Ben has really gotten the hang of swimming with his little life vest - he goes everywhere and is very impatient with walls or anything else that gets in his way. Every once in a while he will overbalance and end up with his head under water, but he is getting pretty good at righting himself and just moving on ... once today he even remembered not to breath under the water and so didn't have to cough up the lungful of water that usually comes with getting dunked. In a new breakthrough, Josh (who has been terrified of the water) decided that he could swim. Once he decided that he could do it - he was everywhere! He doesn't have the same trouble with overbalancing that poor Ben does. In fact, he gets around pretty darn fast! Both boys wanted to go down the slide, but I told them they had to jump off the edge first so that they could see what happened when their heads went under water and that ended that. I'm sure that they will be jumping in very soon. Ginny, on the other hand, decided that she was done floating. She is just ready to swim. She kept trying to climb out of her little ring. She managed to get her head under the water several times - each time she would pull back very surprised and splutter and just try again. I was at a bit of a loss as to what she was trying to accomplish because she didn't want to just stay in my arms either - onery little snot. She is beyond independent ... not sure where THAT came from. :-)

I was hoping to add pictures, but my friend Krissy hasn't sent them to me yet (hint hint)

No comments:

Post a Comment